- The Academy of San Carlos (Spanish: Academia de San Carlos) is located at 22 Academia Street in just northeast of the main plaza of Mexico City. It was the first major art academy and the first art museum in the Americas. It was founded in 1781 as the School of Engraving and moved to the Academia Street location about 10 years later. It emphasized classical European training until the early 20th century, when it shifted to a more modern perspective. At this time, it also integrated with the National Autonomous University of Mexico, eventually becoming the Faculty of Arts and Design, which is based in Xochimilco. Currently, only graduate courses of the modern school are given in the original academy building.
Photo Credit: Own work by Patricia Alzuarte Díaz - CC BY SA • Own work by Raymundo Perera - CC BY SA • Own work by Raymundo Perera - CC BY SA • Own work by Adán 1209 - CC BY SA • Own work by Thelmadatter - CC BY SA •
Except otherwise noted, the work presented on this page is licensed under a Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0). Note: Exception includes: flags, Alumnya logo, ranking system. The main contributors of this contents are (Wikipedia). Modification: Only certain parts of the page are being used.